Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What I did on my summer vacation: pool and hot air balloon

My parents brought Dima back from his mini vacation yesterday and we all went to the pool in the evening. Josh isn't allowed to sit on the lifeguard stands with his buddies anymore ( I was kind of surprised that they let him do it in the first place) He still talks to the guards as he's jumping into the pool again and again and again and the woman who runs the place came out to swim with him the other day and showed him different ways to jump and now he's got even more ways to keep himself going while we're there. This year he has no problem with jumping into the "deep" section - the deepest the whole pool gets is 5'6" - and he did it once without me or an off duty guard near him and got a time out for it and hasn't done that since. Whenever we go Dima has to go directly to the splash park and Josh and I start out in the two foot section and walk in - he dives after his dive sticks or a hair band or asks other kids if the can join their games of catch til I make my way in and we go to the four foot section to him to jump in and swim to me. He knows he can't stand there and was afraid to go there last year but has lost that fear.

After we got back from the pool and I was rinsed off Dima seemed especially emotional - crying hysterically because a bee was stuck outside in a spider web - with me telling him to go get a stick to set it free, him doing it and them realizing that DOING is better than crying. Thinking back on it he also had a crying jag while we were at the pool - Josh picked up a bucket he brought along and then Dima decided he wanted it back - again ASK him for it instead of blubbering and you'll get it back when he's done. Is this crying attention getting stuff? is it his meds? avoiding confronting Josh to get the bucket back? He did also mention that he missed my parents could it be related to that?

Any way our visit to the pool ended with each boy getting their special thing Josh got to do the "ammouncement" that the pool was closed. He goes around here saying it since he's heard his buds saying it each night we're there at closing and we'd mentioned that to the guards so since there was only one other family still there he got to do the "The time is now 6:45 and the pool is closed, please exit the pool using the nearest ladder or stairs, the doors, including the bathrooms will be locked in fifteen minutes. Have a good evening" I tried to get Chris on the phone quickly enough to get him to hear it but I wasn't close enough to a speaker for him to hear it.

Then as we got to the end of the road that the park is on we saw a hot air balloon just about to take flight so we pulled over and watched that. Dima was really happy then.

No comments: