Wednesday, October 1, 2008

our evening walk / totally cool drive in a classic convertible Mustang

After dinner today Josh, Dima and I went out to check out the neighborhood. Since Dima said that people are already putting up their Halloween decorations - he was watching that stuff on the bus rides to and from school today -I didn't have to struggle with talking Josh into getting out of our own space and going for a walk.

Well, after this evening it might not be so difficult to get him out there anymore....

As we neared the end of our street we could see our neighbor's classic convertible Mustang in the garage - we'd seen it there before - but it had been a while... we continued on ... it was looking like rain so we turned around at the end of the street and headed home around the same time the guy from the house with the Mustang comes out to pick up some fallen branches from around the front of his house and Josh hollers " Do you drive that classic Mustang?" and the guy says "Yeah, do you want to see it?" Those little legs couldn't have gone any faster over that lawn and both of my boys were looking at it and oohing and aahhing when Josh suggested a ride and the guy - who we now know is named Chris - was like - Okay, get in. The guy poked his head into this house to tell his wife he was going out for a second and she came out and was taken aback to see us sitting in the car (Why are they in our garage??). We introduced ourselves and then we tooled around the block in a great car. Most of the trip was done with the top down and when we paused to put the top up Josh had his - on - a -ride - at-Hershey Park face on. That face is hard to describe - eyes wide open and mouth like a big oval I guess. so at least for the next few days I've got a lure to go out walking with Josh whenever we have time. I had Josh draw the Mustang-guy a picture and we'll have to deliver that so at least we 'll get one walk out of it tomorrow morning.


Today I decided to take advantage of my kid-free time to get out and explore a little bit. I looked up the trail map at Marsh Creek Park before I dropped Josh off and since I hadn't been to the dam at the park and didn't want to do it the first time with the kids along I thought this would be a good chance to get some exercise and check out the trail to see if they could do it with me. When I looked it up online it seemed pretty straight forward - go along the trails I've already done to the stables and then find the trail to the dam. Okey dokey - I set out along the trails and with another chance to grab a trail map - didn't do it and re-thought that later at the time I wa sthinking I can figure it out- on my own. As I followed the blazes mostly white then later blue- like in "what in the blue blazes"?? I realized I should have measured how much time this would take - as I took a rocky - muddy - next to the water and steep embankments - kind of trail I thought about what could happen - trip and fall down a hill into the lake... fall down a well...get totally lost I was wishing I'd remembered more Girl Scout stuff. Great, then what happens when Josh is at the door of the school with me still rushing back to my car??

There were signs about hunting so as I walked I called my Dad to find out if it was hunting season - no answer - but I guess that's something I should find out ahead of time in the future. At least I had on a red warm up jacket for visibility and I also have a bell on my keys - I do that since the one time I went hiking ages ago in Virginia and once I got into my car and while getting settled in saw a huge snake draped across a fence right in front of my car!! I'm not sure if a bell would scare away a huge snake but at least it would give it some notice. So, it took me an hour to make it to the dam. As I walked along I thought I saw clearing through the trees above me on the hills and wondered how to get up there to make the walk back go faster. I tried it on the was back and I was hoping I wasn't stumbling into a neighborhood where I'd get stuck miles away from where I'd parked my car. The walk back was actually more like tractor- trails on the side of a field and much more manageable for walking quickly or for taking the kids along next time. I ended up back at the parking area much faster than I got to the dam and managed not to get lost!! That park is great and I think we're lucky to have it so close by. I did make it back in time to cool off a bit before I had to get Josh. Whew!!

No comments: