Saturday, October 18, 2008

score hole

Before school yesterday Josh and I spent some time at a park near his school. The original intent was to try to play volleyball on the court they have there with sand so I brought a ball along and it turned out to be too windy to really play there. Picture Josh crying "it's too windy" and yelling for the wind to stop it!!!

We then wandered over to the playground part and I noticed that there were two footballs over on the field. It turned out perfectly since there was a bigger ball and a small one too. I tried to explain from my best I-know-next-to-nothing-about-sports-knowledge what really happens during a football game while we were out on the field. I thought he'd be impressed by the size of the field or at least want to run around there but he was mostly interested in going to the goal post and either punting the ball over - didn't last long since it hurt his foot - to trying to hurl the ball over the cross bar on the goal post between the uprights this goal post also had an extra bar up there and I was thinking "do they all have that?" I guess I'll have to look next time we watch a real game, or make that next time I pass by when they're watching a real game. So we spent quite a bit of time throwing balls over the goalpost and at times they would bounce off and almost bonk him in the head but he wasn't intimidated and kept at it and at it eventually figuring out that it's not so good to stand too close and with some practice he was getting them over again and again. As we were leaving he said he wanted to play football and I thought maybe I'll take him to a game of kids his age since we know some kids that play and that cheer locally so he can see that it's a team thing and it's not just standing there doing what you want on the empty field. As we drove past the other end of the field he goes - "HEY!, there's the other score hole" - and even though I don't know that much about sports I know I wouldn't call it that - he was just trying to remember the words and that is it's function so there ya go - score hole - a new term has been born. Lately he's been saying that he doesn't want to play on the "DyMaNites" (should be Dynamites), Dima's team cause he says he wants to spend time with me - once he gets on a team he'll be into playing and schmoozing with teammates that he'll forget about all that.

No comments: