Saturday, March 14, 2009

Geocaching

They're everywhere!! A long time ago I read an article about letterboxing and geocaching and since I just realized that my new GPS will let me do this I decided to get out and see if I can find them. I searched on line and found the site that most people who do this use and started doing some research and next thing you know I'm finding them and I'm hooked! Some of them are very cleverly hidden and yes, I've had some unsuccessful trips but when you find one there really is a eureka moment.

This was my description of the trek in the online log of such things: Did someone say quick find? check - yeah! - now that I'm getting the hang of this stuff. Did someone say thorns?- yowie! check - did someone say ticks ? -check - found one on my arm after leaving - If this weren't the closest cache to me I'd have thought twice but I HAD to do this and I knew it was now or never with the weed situation.

The closest to us is only .6 mile away and Dima was off school yesterday so I lured him out to look with me by telling him we were going to go look for treasure. He did get bored when my GSP signal was jumping around a bit - it's not made to be used this way - after some traipsing around in a remote part of our favorite park and seeing some ports of it we didn't know were there - we finally zeroed in on it and he was clapping and cheering and thrilled that it had beads inside. I haven't gotten to trade stuff yet since I'm just getting a feel for what kind of stuff to trade. So far I've just signed the logs I've found and I do intend to stock up on stuff to put in them especially when the kids are with me so they can keep something from the cache and hopefully be excited about going out to do it again.

I've already checked out locations near my parents' house and near where we used to live and it's amazing to me that I've gone by some of these laces on an almost daily basis and didn't know they were there.

http://www.geocaching.com

No comments: