Wednesday, May 27, 2009

conversation with a five year old

Josh - "Guinness" (our dog) "you're going to die soon"

Mama - "well, he'll PROBABLY die before we do -what made you say that?"

J - "He's gonna die. Papa yells at him and wants him gone - he says it every time we're eating dinner."

M - "yeah, he wants him out of the room while we're sitting for our meals he certainly wouldn't say he wants the dog to die. Anyway, I don't think talking like that is very nice, how would you like it if someone talked about you dying?"

J - indignant - "I am NOT going to die!!"

M - "We all will and the reason I'm always telling you to be careful out on the streets and stuff like that so you don't get squished and die sooner rather than later."

J - "I'm not going to die!!"

M - "We'll all die at some time."

J - crying and adamant at this point "I'm NOT going to die - we can get resurrected."

The light bulb goes on for me - the kid is thinking the Easter stuff with Jesus happens to everyone, so after explaining that Jesus was special I got out the Bible that he got for his preschool graduation, read him a verse about dying, leaving our bodies behind and going to heaven if God is pleased with us - when we accept Jesus we get to have new bodies in heaven.

He seemed to believe me once I got the book out and read it - if it comes from another source I guess he can believe me.

No comments: