Thursday, January 7, 2010

Inky hands

If you see me walking around later today with ink on my fingers it's because I plan to go out to get fingerprinted this morning to get my application to the school district going. I got my college transcript last night via fax - COBOL in 1983??? - I really don't know why I thought that could be a good career path for me.

Anyway, just last night I submitted the application on line and want to get it moving I'm feeling energized and excited about going to work within the schools. For now I'd just like to substitute as needed so I can still be here with Josh before school most days, uh... so I don't have to pay for child care, then I'd like to move on to something more permanent once he's in first grade next year. It looks like they have some openings for substitute clerical / secretarial and I think my varied back ground at the front desks of the dental offices I worked in should have prepared me for that - let alone the paperwork involved in the adoption of our boys and now advocating for Dima and his AD/ HD Wrap Around benefits. I've been planning to get around to doing this at some point and now that Chris is here working on working I could technically leave Josh here with him to free me up to get to work but I'd still like to be flexible enough to free him up when he has an interview and once he's actually going to an office.

As far as the job search, he's still searching and making calls and poking around on corporate websites all day every day. He got a call from a friend yesterday who's been searching for 6 months (yikes!) who gave him information on what's worked to get him interviews and interest in his resume. Chris has had a few interviews with companies and with recruiters and hopefully one of them will lead to a job.

Since he's still looking, if anyone has any connections please forward the resume I sent out earlier - email me if you need me to send it again. Some of you out of towners have asked about the possibility of moving, actually Chris's former boss said he could work right now if we'd be willing to move to Chantilly, VA but I don't think we're at that point in the search yet. We'd like to stay close to the family we have around here. Not to say that six months from now our outlook won't change, just want to try to stay local if we can.

Now that I think about it do they even use ink for fingerprints anymore? The last time I did this was 2003 pre-adoption - maybe they have newer technology these days. Retinal scan? Finger scan? I guess I'll find out.

No comments: