Sunday, May 2, 2010

Driving?

Andie's all excited about driving in the near future but I really don't see that happening any time soon. She insists that they tested her reflexes at rehab and they think she's on her way to being able to drive. Now, I'm getting this from her and communication is still a big issue for her so I'm not so sure of exactly what they said to her but I had to burst her bubble and tell her that it probably wouldn't be any time soon. So then she said, okay maybe two months... I really really don't think so, but then again I was just thinking that we'd just passed the 29th of April which was three months since her surgery and the improvement has been remarkable so she may prove me wrong.
My parents did set her up with the blog to read since she said she wanted to know what I wrote but she still can't follow the print either on the computer screen or on a printed page so she gave up on that. My point to her was that if she can't read how's she going to drive? Can't read street signs? can't read directions? Her short- term memory is lacking too - so much so that when she gets to the end of a line she can't remember what she read at the beginning of the same line. And the process of decyphering the words is so hard for her that she just doesn't get the meaning.
We spent some time yesterday over at Friday's visiting the people she used to work with and she wanted to wait for some regular customers that she hoped would come in and she saw one man she knew and he was saying that they were all very concerned about her when she was in the hospital and all that.
She's also getting back into some "normal" things that most people take forgranted - she's got an appointment on Tuesday to have her hair done at the salon she usually goes to and the stylist she sees volunteered to come in early for her so she can get done in time to get out for her therapies at Good Shepherd. Next week is the last week for Physical Therapy aince she's doing well with that. She'll still have Occupational and Speech Therapies but she's good with the walking.
She moves slowly so yesterday and the evening before when we went on the IRT walking trail I loaded a geocache into my GPS and hustled ahead to get that while she walked behind me then she turned around and I had to catch up to her before we got back to the parking area. She insists that she doesn't need the cane but I think it's still to her benefit to have it as a warning to others not even for her to use. There were a few times that bikes speeding up behind us and she is still slow to move so the cane would - hopefully - have people be more cautious and sympathetic than if she didn't have it along.

No comments: