Monday, July 30, 2007

Our day so far

The boys and I went to Marsh Creek Park this morning. We got there around 10:15 and looked for raspberries - the season must be almost done cause they're hard to find now. We swam in the pool, the boys used their kick boards from Nana and Pop-pop for the first time and had a great time using them. The water park part was out of commission since there was a power surge - or lightning strike over the weekend and they're still trying to fix it. Dima kept going over to try to start the thing and I kept saying, it'll be a while till they fix it, but he tried and tried and just stood there for a long time just waiting. Josh, being his usual gregarious self was playing with older kids as they ran down the ramp to the pool and threw themselves in the water, he copied them and did the same thing and they just let him join in. He also got an older guy to throw a ball around with him. He said that Josh reminds him of - I think it was J.J. from the Incredibles, I'll have to watch it to find out what he meant.

We're pretty far out of the loop on popular characters. I caught on to the Harry Potter craze after my Mom got me the books after the first three had been published. I went to see the new movie and just finished the last book last week, but the kids and I are all kind of out of touch with a lot of the popular characters since I monitor their TV pretty closely.

Since the weather's been nice this summer they haven't had time to watch much. In general, they're allowed to watch TV if they've earned it with good behavior or sometimes when the weather's bad. Yesterday it was rainy in the morning so I let them watch Higglytown Heroes - a 1/2 hour show. At times I'll use the TV to keep them busy while I'm preparing meals (other times they watch me cook and or go through the kitchen utensil drawer going "what's this? what's this?" the funnels and whisks and spatulas can keep their attention for quite a while)

When they do get to watch they it's something like Higgletown or Little Einsteins Josh will sit still for NASCAR or other car-related shows and Dima will watch "How it's Made" if the thing being made is interesting to him. We have a few movies that they've seen again and again, the movie Cars is of course one of Josh's favorites. They've also seen some of the Disney classics, including Sleeping Beauty who had Josh saying "I Wuv Her!" Chris is more tolerant of watching movies than I am, I'd rather have them doing something like Play doh or crayons or scissors but he doesn't mind sitting them down in the evenings, especially when it's cold / dark out early and watching something before bed time. Once Dima's in school every day we'll have to save movie night for special weekend nights cause he'll have to be up and out every day instead of three days a week like in pre-school.

No comments: