Friday, July 13, 2007

Since we didn't have anything else planned for today the boys and I stayed at the pool after swimming lessons this morning. Our neighbors stayed with us yesterday but since Bronte wouldn't swim they left after about an hour and I think Dusti's not thrilled about paying extra money to just sit there. I suggested trying to switch kids - she takes mine and I'll take hers to see if I can convince her daughter to get in the water - maybe next week. Bronte seemed to have a bit of a relapse today where she was crying form the moment they got there - but then she does go off with the teacher when it's time to start the lessons.

We went into the big pool for a while and there the boys take turns jumping in while I hold their hands if we're in deeper water, or they stand on their own if they can. We usually start in the two foot section and work our way up to about four feet Josh just jumps and jumps and jumps where Dima jumps then looks around a little. For the past week one of his former class mates comes to the pool too so they were tossing a ball back and forth playing very nicely together. After we played around a while we took a break for lunch then walked around the park with Dima's "fishing net" - he caught lots of grass - and we found lots of raspberries and got in a decent walk.

Both yesterday and today I let the boys go into the splash park while I sat on my towel for a few minutes trying to warm up - the breeze was kind of cold after being in the warm water. When they did it yesterday they both made friends with other kids and for the most part were interacting well. I had to intervene when a girl of maybe one year old - who can't really talk - was being kept from the valve on one of the splashy things by Josh. By the time I got over there to find out what was going on - from what I could see Josh was getting in front of the kid when she wanted to turn the valve. The girl's mom laughingly said that the two of them were "arguing" over the thing with the girl pointing and trying to tell Josh off in babbling words just with her tone of voice, it was kind of funny, but he really needs to learn to be nice to other kids so I convinced Josh to show her how the thing works and they both seemed okay with that. Now today as we got there he was asking if the "little girl" (accompanied by fingers making an inch-wide space) would be there at first I didn't know what he was talking about but figured out that he was talking about her.

They seem to do well in the swim lessons. It's hard to see exactly what's going on since we sit on the other side of a fairly large pool. Today they had some "water safety" instruction. That means they put PFDs on them and had them jumping in and swimming around with them on. You never know when that stuff will come in handy. They also play with things that you can throw into the pool then dive after. Dima did that in class but wouldn't do it when I asked him to show me later on.

Tomorrow will be Saturday which means Papa will take the boys while I get some free time. That probably means I'll go to see the latest Harry Potter movie before I get into errands such as getting groceries and all that stuff. I guess since I've been out of town a lot lately I've been trying to use up what we have around in the pantry. Plus trips to the stores are more complicated when I have to take both of the kids, it's just easier and less distracting to do it without them. Then on Sunday the boys will go to see the Reading Phillies again - they're going to get their own bobble head dolls if they get there early enough. I can picture it now - Josh will be going around doing an imitation of a bobble head.

No comments: