Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Oh, so easily amused!

While Josh and I were here this morning I decided to look at the boy's closets and try to arrange their fall /winter clothes. I took Josh upstairs after breakfast and after seeing Dima off to the school bus with a toy catalogue to look over. This will be a great time of year for him since we're getting all sorts of stuff in the mail that keeps him busy browsing and asking '"can I get a__________(fill in the blank with whatever's got his attention on the page)" He can sit for a half an hour looking at all the stuff and is very content to do so. I got some of the closet stuff arranged and decided to show him a box that I had emptied and he had a grand old time getting into the box to pretend that I was mailing him to Nana and Pop pop or to Gramma and Poppy or - his idea -"to the princesses" and I would pretend to be the princess getting the box and he would just squeal when I was "wondering what was in the box " and when I'd open it and say "I got a boy" he'd just throw himself into my arms and jump around then beg to do it all over again. It was fun and funny at the same time one of those things I'll never forget.

While I was up in their rooms doing stuff I can't do while it's naptime I set Dima up with and alarm clock. When I told him about it during lunch he said he was full and wanted to get going to naptime so he could see it. I made him stay with us to talk about how it's to be used and what his duties will be each morning when he gets up on school days. Making the bed, using the bathroom, putting on his clothes that we'll pick out the night before. I've got to go through our magazines and pictures to make him an agenda of pictures so he can do it himself. When we finally did settle in for nap he was saying "it changed, it changed" every minute so I had to remind him that nap time is quiet time. I would not be surprised if he laid there through the whole nap time watching it change. He was quiet so I'll let him go. He was so excited when I told him about it that his legs were wiggling a mile a minute under the lunch table in anticipation. When I showed him what it'll sound like when the alarm goes the radio had the weather report on so that made him even more excited. I got this idea from a friend and I don't see why he shouldn't be able to carry this out by himself. The school clothes are all in the same drawers so eventually he should be able to pick the clothes on his own too. With both of them if they get shoes on the wrong feet or something on backwards I usually don't mind as long as they're trying on their own and as long as whatever it is doesn't hurt them.

No comments: