Saturday, March 6, 2010

When Josh and I got to Good Shepherd today we first greeted Poppy and Gramma in the parking garage - best to get the POPPY, MY BEST BUDDY !!! and I VUW MY GRAMMA!!! out of the way before we went inside the building. I'd prepared him for seeing the wheelchairs and walkers and things that go along with rehab and I told him that if he behaved well he'd earn some computer time later. Andie had apparently watched us come across from the parking garage and was waiting for us in the hallway upstairs when we got into the locked brain - trauma ward.
Well, Josh was not quite his normal self - I had warned him not to jump on Andie, and it could have been the thought of losing the computer but he was taken aback when we got close to her. Could have been the wheelchair, could have been the trach tube, even Andie with her limited - staggered words communicated that she thougth he was afraid of her. He was not mean, just standoffish - for him.
Once we settled in to the dining area Josh spent alot of time looking at his MotorTrend magazine - I brought it along to keep him quiet. Gramma and I also played Ispy with him while Andie did her daily session with the Speech therapist. In Speech therapy she's asked about things like how she feels, then they get down to her address, her phone number, our names and things like that to judge her short and long term memories . They test her daily to se how she's progressing - she's still struggling with most of the answers. Whether the issue is receptive or expressive or both it's hard to say. She can communicate but most of what we understand is within the context of what's going on or along with motions to get the point across. A few days ago she was trying to say something and even though the words didn't say it I knew she was wondering where her contacts were. I told her I had them at Mom and Dad's house and then she was okay with that so I know that's what she meant. Other times I have no idea what the point of what she wants to say is and try to go along with it to get more information but she gets frustrated and stops talking or gets a disgusted look and shrugs and then stops.
I've noticed that when we just kind of hang out - first I saw it with her friend Cindy then later when we just sit around that she gets this gossipy kind of look and tone of voice and even though it's gibberish she's got a whole she -did -this and they -did -that.... interspersed with unrelated words... conversation going on with whoever will listen. At those times I try my best to pay attention and get some clues as to how to respond but it's tough when the conversation is pretty much one sided.
We'll stop in tomorrow after church and brunch so hopefully Josh will connect more with Andie.

No comments:

Blog Archive