Saturday, February 13, 2010

Better every day

Yesterday - two weeks since the surgery - (oh yes, I'm counting the days) Andie was doing well enough to sit on the side of her bed - for a short time, not huge news but it's still improvement. apparently her nights have not been very restful so my parents have been limiting the time they spend with her so she can get the rest she needs. I'm headed up now - to get there for morning visiting hours and so how things have improved for myself. I've got pictures of my boys to hang in her room. They don't allow kids under 12 in the Critical Care unit and I can see why, the sights and sounds there can be scary even for a grown-up. Plus I don't think they'd want Josh hollering up and down the hallways. The kids has no volume control his lips are still only while he's sleeping... he literally talks himself to sleep.... and he's LOUD and I think Dima would be freaked out by it all.

About how Andie knew she had the aneurysm in the first place: At one point she had lots of energy and was having a good time at work when all of a sudden she lost the energy and could not get up to move around. She had flu like symptoms and a severe headache - she told me at the time that it felt like a migraine or like she was having a stroke, since someone else at her work had the same type of symptoms and she thought it was just related to the flu. After a few days the headache persisted and she passed our while sitting in - not driving, thank God! - her car after coming out of a grocery store in Allentown. When she came to she was not sure if she was coming from or going to work. Around the same time people at work noticed that she was grasping for words and somewhat confused at times. A good friend took her to the Lehigh Valley Hospital Center thinking they'd give her a pill for migraines and she'd be on her way. Wow, little did any of us thing she'd have her head cut open, little clothespin-like clamps put on a blood vessel, some of her brain cells taken out because of the damage to them!, multiple tests and scans, and still be there on the road to recovery two weeks later. How things can change!

So, I'm outta here and will report later from my parents' house.

No comments:

Blog Archive