Monday, February 15, 2010

More of the same

In a way the time spent with Andie in the Critical Care Unit crawls... with all the disconcerting sounds and sights but in a way it flies because you're not so much focused on what time it is as you are - how's the BP? or how's the breathing? or what does that distressed look mean?
When I first got to her room today I could see that questioning, puzzled look as if she's trying to figure things out followed by some activity with trying to get the mitt off - so I took it off for a while and guarded her various lines at the same time, she kind of scratched at her scalp - must be itchy and just put the arm up to adjust her pillow but the mitt has to go back on when we're not right there so she can't pull things out. There's a spark that's there at times and still there are times where she looks around blankly.
There are times that I just sit to let her rest while I make my little notes or work on crossword puzzles but there are also times that she's active and moving around. She also does stuff like rapidly raising her eyebrows or patting my hand or pulling it to her or kicking her left leg. There's also a kind of smirking while I talk to her then it can also swing to turning her head away from me and the nurse while testing her to see if she can raise her arm or wiggle toes. There are a range of emotions still going across her face and sometimes you can see sadness and frustration and what looks like screaming and during course of the day today there were a few yawns.
I usually take my ipod in to try different music for her to see if there's a reaction but recently there's been no indication of a preference for anything from country or John Denver to classical to my German music.
I'm told that once the ventilator is off and she can breathe on her own for 48 - 72 hours she'll be moved to Good Shepherd Home. For me it's hard to see but the people at the LVHC seem to think she's getting better. There are also issues with elevated temperature indicating an infection. More cultures went out today to see about that and my impression is that once she's in rehab they expect her to be able to be actively involved with the physical therapy and right now I just don't think she's there yet.
I'm back home to Glenmoore for this snowstorm - hasn't amounted to much yet... to get geared up for kids to get back to school routines - they've had enough time off with skiing in VT, snow days then the holiday today it's about time that they get back to really learning stuff!!

No comments:

Blog Archive