Tuesday, February 16, 2010

VW Beetles, adoption, aneurysms

I've noticed that VW Beetles, adoption and aneurysms are all things that when you mention them most people have had direct experience with or at least a story to tell.
In case you don't already know, Chris has a 1974 Beetle with it's own "barn" with tool- shed area that we had built outside our house , our boys were adopted from Lomonosov, Russia in 2004 and now I'm seeing what it's like to deal with someone who's had brain surgery.
The stories I hear from people about friends and relatives who have gotten through all this brain stuff, Intensive Care and then rehab and are now living their lives remind me that there are better times to come.
As I read about this and talk to the nurses I do realize the odds that Andie has already overcome. The odds that someone with this type of issue makes it to the hospital are not all that great something like 11- 20%, then once they get to the hospital, get diagnosed and then get into surgery they might not make it out at all.
So... though this is painfully slow for us to watch and wait til she knows we're around - she's already better off than many people who have had to face this.
Things are pretty much the same today as far as her mental awareness. Usually she just needs rest but then she seems active sometimes and then there are times that her pain meds are increased depending on what tests they need her to be still for, then that really knocks her out.
And so... we continue to wait.

1 comment:

Shelly Lee said...

Hi Lyn, you really don't know me, but I felt compelled to comment. You see, I'm Shelly Lee (Sheldon's daughter...perhaps you remember him?) Our dads spent a lot of time getting into things over the years and more importantly, running Weis stores. My mom told me what happened to your sister, I am sorry. You see,I have a very dear friend of mine who also had a brain aneurysm about 6 years ago, she was 51 years old and it burst. I am happy to report that after surgery she came thru it, and after a few months off from work, she was able to get back into her routine. She will tell you that her mind isn't as sharp as it used to be (I tell her it's because of her age...ha ha) So, with that..I simply say 'keep the faith' and know that she is in good hands. I work for Geisinger and even though I don't work in patient care, I know miracles are happening everyday everywhere. Hang in there....give your parents my best. Take Care, Shelly

Blog Archive