Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A new chapter begins...

This morning I got a call that they would be transferring Andie from the hospital to rehab today then after packing a few things and putting them in my car I got another call that they needed to wait for some test results before she could go. Since I was ready I went anyway to just spend time in the hospital with her. She seems the same as far as times of some rest and then activity where she looks around at the parking lot outside or at the TV I put the Food Network on at times since that's her favorite channel but then it seemed cruel to have that stuff on when she's still on a feeding tube. As we hung out in the room doctor came in with some of the test results - with nothing being alarming they thought it was okay to send her to rehab and wait for the rest of the results there. Ok, so the move was back on.
As they were readying her to go two guys wheeled a gurney down the hall with what was obviously a body under a sheet - the nurse and I kind of stopped and looked at each other and I asked if that was what it looked like and she said yes they try to disguise it but you could still tell what it was. On the other hand from time to time at the hospital they would play a little lullaby and that was done each time a baby was born.
So off to rehab we went and my parents and I were there as they checked her over and we met her doctor and got her settled in for the night.
This place seems very organized - we'd already got her stuff there since they gave us a list of what she's need earlier this week. They told me at the hospital that she'd made a thumbs up with the right hand this morning and when I mentioned that I haven't seen that she said that sometimes one per day is tiring for the patient. We have a schedule of what her days will be like they'll do intensive therapies a few times per day and the doc there said she'll be tired from all of it. She's still on antibiotics for bronchitis, and she's going to need to rest up. The people that can get in are limited, and for the record - I wouldn't want people coming in to see me in this state. When things improve enough to allow visitors, I'll let you all know.
I'm planning to be there tomorrow when the various therapists make their evaluations and get the therapies started and I'm very much looking forward to watching her recovery.

No comments:

Blog Archive